Stand in My Shoes – Developing Our Empathy

June8

Today for our circle time WALT (We Are Learning To develop our empathy). First, our teacher showed us some funny and fancy shoes and asked us how we would feel wearing someone else’s shoes. We listened to the story ‘Stand in My Shoes’ by  Bob Sornson that taught us about empathy and showed us many ways to show empathy. We then discussed different situations and identified the feelings people might feel (using emoticons/emojis) and then we came up with solutions of what we could do to show empathy. Lastly, we got to try on some of the shoes and wear them during recess and class time. Today was even more special because during our circle time we had Mrs Russell and some special visitors from St John Vianney’s in Parkdale stop by. Thanks to Mrs Russell, Natasha, Kerry, Fleur and Shane for coming to share our circle time with us!

What did you learn about EMPATHY?  How did it feel when you tried on or wore someone else’s shoes? How can you show empathy at home? At school? To someone you don’t know?

Feelings in Emoticons

by posted under Circle Time, Reflection, SEL | 13 Comments »

“Stand in My Shoes – Developing Our Empathy”

1. June 9th, 2017 at 2:34 am      Reply fleur peppard Says:

Thank you Grade 3/4 for sharing your learning with us today – we loved the shoes. Who got to wear the high ones?

2. June 13th, 2017 at 8:14 am      Reply sansom Says:

Dear Miss Murphy it was fun to wear the shoes and I like to do the emoji work again.

From Sansom

3. June 13th, 2017 at 9:30 am      Reply Thien Says:

The day we had to wear the shoes were fantastic!!!!!!!I hope we can do it again sometime.(but not on Friday very often plz)

From,Thien

4. June 13th, 2017 at 10:09 am      Reply dinhphan Says:

I liked how the shoes were and how did you get those shoes???
    From Dp

5. June 13th, 2017 at 10:36 am      Reply Jason Says:

Dear miss Murphy

The lols are real on this page.

6. June 14th, 2017 at 8:05 am      Reply Caitlyn Says:

Dear M&M
    I had fun wearing the shoes! I thought it was funny that John wore the high heels! I felt really happy taking the challenge!
    From Caitlyn

7. June 14th, 2017 at 10:24 am      Reply Justin Says:

Dear M and M,
    I really like the shoes that you gave me. They are right here .
    P.s I keep tripping so now I have multiple bruises!

From Justy ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

8. June 14th, 2017 at 10:28 am      Reply Alan Says:

IT’S AL & HE’S BACK IN TOWN
    Deer Miss Murphy,
    LOL & it was nice to do that sheet with the sentences & and draw an emoji & like write 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 sentence what u would say to that person feeling empathy .-. -_-

9. June 16th, 2017 at 6:40 am      Reply Aaron Says:

LOL. It was VERY funny when everyone wore funny shoes. I really liked doing the emoji work.

Aaron

10. June 19th, 2017 at 9:36 am      Reply Cindy Says:

I really like looking at our classmates in those shoes because it’s funny and at the same time it’s gorgeous!!!

11. June 20th, 2017 at 6:52 am      Reply Anthony Says:

Dear Miss Murphy Johno looks good.
    From Anthony.d

12. June 26th, 2017 at 11:19 am      Reply Trang Pham Says:

It was so awesome and funny when Caitlin put on the hilarious shoes .
    When a Jessie took the shoes outside to the playground people kept following her.
    I followed her to all of recess I even got a try on the shoes.
    I loved ❤️the sandles themost of all shoes .
    From Trang.
    Please reply

13. August 9th, 2017 at 8:59 am      Reply Nicky Says:

Dear MissMurphy I wish I could were one of your high heels i wanted to do the challenge.
    From the pleased Nicky