Figurative Language

November10

Figurative language is something that makes books more enjoyable to read and makes our writing more interesting. Figurative language is used in poetry, songs, narratives or when we are talking to our friends are family. Watch the videos below to refresh your mind about the different types of figurative language. Can you think of any other examples of figurative language? Please share in your comments below.

“Figurative Language”

1. November 11th, 2015 at 5:54 am      Reply Andy Says:

dear Miss Murphy,

i like the videos you put they are helpful, i think i can make some figurative sentences now, (as lazy as a grizzly bear)<- thats one i can think of for now.

from,Andy

2. November 11th, 2015 at 6:11 am      Reply sujan Says:

Here is one figurative language I have butterflies in my stomach.
    From,S.Tape 3/4M

3. November 11th, 2015 at 7:09 am      Reply Joursha Says:

The videos tell a lot about figurative language .
    And another phase is Break your leg.
    Which means good luck.

From,Joursha

4. November 11th, 2015 at 7:17 am      Reply Chelsea Says:

I made some of my own figurative language.1You are bright as the sun.2 You are strong as a rhino.You are pretty as a flower.3You are deadly as a rose.5 You are soft as a baby.Cool videos.

From Chelsea:)

• November 11th, 2015 at 10:30 am      Reply Miss M&M Says:

Dear Chelsea,
      Fantastic similes! I especially like the strong as a rhino because it is unique and I haven’t heard it before but it works well. Thank you for sharing!
      Miss m&m

5. November 11th, 2015 at 7:31 am      Reply This Guy Thomas Says:

So the video says that metaphors, similes, idioms, hyperboles, irony, alliterations, puns, onomatopoeias, personifications, oxymoron, imagery, foreshadowing and paradoxes are Figurative language. Also a type of Idiom is called ‘Put your foot in your mouth’ which means to have said the wrong thing at the wrong time [e.g. To say “I hope mum isn’t cooking soup today, because soup is the worst!” and find out mum IS cooking soup and glaring at you with the deadly ‘Your in BIG trouble young man’ glare that is designed to make your nerves melt like butter in a desert [ HEY that is a simile!] and she says ” PUT YOUR FOOT IN YOUR MOUTH”.] .
    From, Thomas

6. November 11th, 2015 at 7:47 am      Reply Kaylan :) Says:

Figurative language has so many languages i can’t keep up them. The figurative language i know well are the onomatopoeia because I learnt it last year and idioms because I’ve done lots of them.
    From Kaylan

7. November 11th, 2015 at 10:08 am      Reply Tony Says:

Figurative Language:hot as lava,heavy as a truck,big as a dinosaur,round as a ball,fast as a cheater,fat as a sumo.
    From,Tony

8. November 11th, 2015 at 10:21 am      Reply Jason Says:

I enjoyed the videos they were cool, I sometimes like to use figurative language, mostly for lokes and being funny my favorite part of both of the videos were when the lion said that he was so hungry he could eat a elephant, he counldn’t really otherwise he would EXPLODE!
    From, Jason 3/4M
    AKA Jay

9. November 11th, 2015 at 10:43 am      Reply skye Says:

Here are some Figurative Language that I have learnt:
    1.Similes
    2.puns
    3.onomatopoeias
    4.personifications
    5.metaphors
    6.paradoxs
    7.oxymoronsdidioms
    From,Skye:)

10. November 11th, 2015 at 10:57 am      Reply Alex.Chan Says:

Dear Miss,

the video was interesting. I learnt more about figurative language and i got one figurative language skinny as a stick.

From ,Alex.

11. November 11th, 2015 at 8:15 pm      Reply Mandy Says:

Here are some similes cold as Antarctica, hot as a fireplace.
    From, Mandy

12. November 12th, 2015 at 8:24 am      Reply Tam Says:

Here are some examples of Figurative language
    I’m so hungry I could eat a horse.
    Break a Leg
    I’ve told you a million times to clean your room!
    From, Tam

13. November 12th, 2015 at 9:40 am      Reply sophia:) Says:

Dear M & M,
    I learned a lot from the video. The only Figurative Language I remember now is a pun.
    From, Sophia